I hope everyone experiencing the dead of winter in the Northern Hemisphere right now is finding some hygge.
Hygge is a Danish word that’s difficult to translate. It describes the feeling of coziness one gets when there’s nothing but good times to be had, and when no annoyances or worries get in the way of one’s ability to enjoy calm, relaxing things.
I’m the kind of person who’s nearly always worrying about something, so I truly appreciate the moments when I find hygge. Here’s a list of some of my favorite instances of experiencing hygge:
- Waking up in bed feeling completely comfortable and being able to go right back to sleep because I don’t have work.
- Enjoying a warm meal and wine with friends, preferably at a place with a cozy ambiance…maybe a rooftop bar with fairy lights, or a restaurant with cozy nooks and fireplaces.
- Having the perfect cup of tea and reading an enthralling book in bed, wrapped in blankies.
- Wearing my comfiest pajamas, binge-watching Netflix, and eating cereal with my best friends.
- Seeing the Christmas tree surrounded with presents on Christmas morning.
I hope you all find some wonderful moments of hygge this winter, whether it’s with a comfy, squishy blanket or out on the town with great friends!